Saturday 27 August 2016

SONG OF A DANCER





THE SONG OF A DANCER.



It was a sound I danced to all semester,the first in a row of two. All day long,at night when I was sleeping on my grave-like bed. In the ministry, while hanging with my friends,in front of my computer and sometimes even inside the kingdom hall.
 

I was ever restless,ever active. I swung my head like a small child refusing to give cookies out. It made my hands go back and forth like those of Leonardo Da vinci in the process of drawing one of the greatest work of art-Mona lisa.

knuckles swaggedly planted on either side of brocade cloth,face drawn and war ready. That pose meant business on the horizon. I put my hands on the sleeves of my agbada,ready to dance as usual. My legs felt the rhythm and combination of enduring musical instruments which made the greatest kings, royals ones, military commanders, divas and so forth danced with absolute nonchalance for the onlookers,even if it made them cynosure of all eyes. My legs fell in line, like a drunkard staggering home after a dozen calabash of 'emu ogidi'.  I moved with amazing steps of a demi-god, people thought mine were the legs of Usain Bolt in a sprint race with a million spectators in the stadium and further hundreds of millions glued to the television.

My heart,the often called seat of emotion,together with my brain coordinated those alluring movements. They were so on point just like Arturo Toscanini performing in front of the president of the world. The singer wasn't a popular name though. The person was not a Micheal Jackson, Bob Marley, Whitney Houston, Sunny Ade, or even our own Barrister. The person wasn't even a professional singer. On several occasions, I danced to different melodies.  Hmm, what an irony of life! Was I the only person dancing to this beat? Does the person know the songs got me excited? Would I be humble enough to tell? Only lord knows.

But my stomach and mouth did not succumb to the euphoria of the beat. They stood tall like the great wall of china. My stomach and mouth did not praise the singer at all. I really wish they'll eventually. Maybe they needed just one more chance. New semester again? Oh God,may she sing again,may she give the tune again and may my two fastidious body parts praise her. Maybe she could be my own permanent singer and beat maker.     
       
#Chiefkoko
                      


                                         .......For a friend that took an oath of shame!!!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I like it! It's very real and thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dexterity at narration is impressive, beautiful application of words. I appreciate the covert way you have described this familiar situation.

    ReplyDelete